Monday, June 2, 2014

Surrounded by Boxes - Musing

Moving is something that although I've done many times now, it is never easy. When I went off to college for the first time, I remember I had my 12 inches or so of space where I sat for the next 9 hours or so. It was a fun ride. That was just the beginning of my struggle to fit as much as possible into small spaces. I was fortunate not to live in any other houses while growing up, so I was broken in by going away to college, going away to camp, going even further away to finish my degrees, and then with each of our rental homes since we've been married.

As I sit here surrounded by boxes of stuff, I have a mixture of feelings. I'm tired. I am ready to just get it done, but I know it will, so here I am taking some time to relax and write.

I've already begun to develop the style of this home. It's going to be different from the rest even though I do not really have much that is new. I think the style of this home is going to be a practical style. I plan on using storage to decorate. I've done quite a bit of looking at decorating small spaces, and I'm excited about this home.

We threw out so much with this move, but there is probably more that could go. Throwing away is a process. With this move, I realized that they are just things. Yes, I like things. It's in my human nature to want lots of them, but some things can go. It's okay to throw things away. If you have been saying for three and a half years that you might use that for such-and-such project, then it is likely time to toss it. I'll admit that I have a few things like this, but I truly am hoping to start up my art corner again here in this house. I have the perfect spot, and it is begging to be used. Many of these "might use" items will be in that area.

If you are facing a major move or just one a few hours away, take heart! The things you have are just things. Some may be irreplaceable, but they are still just things. It's fun to make a home out of a simple house, and it does not take much to do this. Try not to compare yourself to what others have now who are the same age or who have had a home for years. All of us have different lives. It's hard not to do think this way at times, but once again, all we see are the things, and they are just that. They are not lasting.

If you do not think you are creative enough to make much out of little, think again. You are who you are, and your house can look like you. It doesn't have to look like anyone else's. You can get ideas from others, but make it comfortable for you. Elegance in your home comes I believe from using what you have and adding the new when you can. Humble beginnings will make you all the better at what you do with your home, and it will make you all the more thankful for every little thing.

If you are sitting today, like me, surrounded by boxes, first thank the Lord for all of the possessions he has given you. Second, thank the Lord if you have a small space. That is just less to clean. Third, remember that all of this is temporary, but that God has put into each of our hearts the desire to create just as God created. Create, using your own abilities or as you might call them unabilities, and enjoy every little space.

No comments:

Post a Comment